Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The weeks prior: checklists and planners and books

I love the weeks approaching our trips almost as much as the trip itself. We immerse ourselves in the planning. I rent travel books from the library covering the area and do lots of online investigating about little known spots or local's favorites.

I especially love the time that we spend as a family talking about what we will see, where we will go, what's on the menu, what games we will play when it's raining, whether we will hike and/or bike.

Tonight we gathered on our bed (our favorite cozy place to read together) and read "Buck Wilder's Small Twig Hiking and Camping Guide". It has cartoon style illustrations that introduce little ones to
the elements of camping and hiking: how to prepare, what essentials for survival are, a couple good recipes, respecting nature and more. My 8 and 9 year old enjoyed listening to it as I read the tips that Buck Wilder gives about almost everything: leave your camp cleaner than you found it, never use river rocks in a fire or they could explode, etc.

Another book that I am excited to explore on our trips is "Keeping a Nature Journal" by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E. Roth.

I admit, I often take too much stuff "to do" when camping: books to read, sketchbooks and lots of art supplies, rocks to paint, camera equipment for some amateur photography (I subscribed to the iPhone Photography course)... and then I feel overwhelmed by it all.

I recently told my husband I was frustrated that I didn't have more time to create and he suggested using the time in the parks to do so - I'm hoping that means I will actually get the time! So now the question is, What should my creative outlet be on this trip?

PLANNING
There is also a basic schedule that I like to follow in the weeks prior to our trips in order to prepare. I like to think of the trip from every angle because I hate getting someplace and thinking, "Oh man! I wish I had done X for the trip, or brought Y, or known about that place to visit..." You get the gist.

So this is my National Parks Camping Trip Planner. (It's a work in progress)
And this is a link to the itinerary mentioned in the planner. (Also a work in progress).
See my supply check list and things I love at my Amazon Supply List. (and ditto).

No comments:

Post a Comment